It is necessary to explain why food and catering is an important part of any event. Food is one element that is capable of making or breaking events, irrespective of how the rest of it may pan out. Good food can outweigh every other element that may seem sub-par and to ice over mishaps and mistakes. This is one of the reasons for choosing a catering service for your event is an important task and one that you must not dive into without complete knowledge. While the quality and taste of the food is your priority, there are also other things you will have to consider. Below, we list the necessary things to keep in mind on your hunt for the best caterer to suit your event.
- BUDGETING: Catering usually takes up a substantial amount of the overall budget and if you are not careful, can take up a little too much and leave very little for the other parts of managing the event. Remember to do your research beforehand and to contact some different caterers to get their quotations. This will give you a fair idea about the prices you can expect. Your budget for the catering is hardly justified if you end up presenting average food and leave the guests dissatisfied. Moreover, make sure that your caterers are genuine, prompt, and polite in your initial interactions as this can be an excellent way to predict how they will behave during the actual event.
- SPECIFY EVERYTHING: When you first start the conversation with potential caterers about what you want, make sure to include as much information and detail as possible. Logically, they can only give you the food and services you are looking for if you first convey your requirements to them. Don’t worry about sounding too demanding or specific, hand over whatever details you think are necessary, emphasise on the crowd you are expecting, the magnitude of the event, and the general expectations. If a caterer is genuinely interested in your case, they will not step back just because your needs sound a little overwhelming. Keep in mind that there is an entire market of caterers that you can turn to, and you shouldn’t be disheartened if one, or even a few of them, refuses based on the demands of the event.
- FLEXIBILITY AND PERSONALIZATION: Catering services usually begin with a few fixed menus that are generically made to fit most major events and then work their way up from there. Making sure that your caterer is willing to alter and change the menu according to your event is an important first step in your decision. Make sure that they are polite and sincere throughout the process, and willing to accommodate the changes and demands in menus. If the menu does not feel like a direct reflection of the event you are managing, it will not go with the event itself. While satisfaction with the food is key, making sure the food in question matches the event is the second important factor to keep in check.
- SERVICES: Most catering services provide not only the food and beverage for the event but also the manpower that will be involved in serving them. This means that you will also have to pay close attention to the staff that they are planning to send over for your event. Keep your mind at peace by meeting them well in advance, making sure that they are appropriately dressed for the event, that they know the sort of audience they are catering to, and the etiquette that is expected of them. Even delicious food can be completely ruined if served by someone rude and unfriendly.
- REFERENCES: If you are still on the fence about the caterer you want for your event, you can turn to stories and anecdotes from others who might have hired the same caterers that you are considering. In the time and age of the internet, it is effortless to find reviews that can tell you more about your potential caterer and their services than they may tell you themselves.
Hopefully, these pointers are enough to get you started on your hunt for the perfect caterer to handle your event. Good luck!