Being an event coordinator is undoubtedly a tiresome and a stressful job because each type of performance needs the specific skills and traits to do it. To exemplify the same, here’s a list of points of those traits which are demanded to be a successful event planner:
- Completely Organised: Event Planning is all about managing the minute details of an event which means there’s a need of proper record of tasks and activities, capable to take the charge of multiple vendors, optimum allocation of resources, keeping the clients satisfied, meet all the challenges and so on. This whole list compiles up for being organized.
They require the skills of multi-tasking, management of technical tools and follow step by step checklists. Mapping about thousands of things is to be done without the elimination of any single thing that is required to be done.
- Socialistic: An event manager needs to be socialistic and consecutively, should have personable skills. He needs to manage people for people, so, successful event planners are required to be good in communication, dealings and engagements with the people. Being a good speaker is important but being a good listener is more.
Event Management Business is a socialistic business because it involves the participation of people at a larger scale. Their main motive in even planning is to understand the desires and likings of the people and accordingly lay down the event to entertain them.
They need to maintain good relations with clients, vendors, co-workers, sponsors, staff, suppliers, caterers, government officials, special guests, and event attendees.
- Prepared for Contingencies: Event Planners are required to be resourceful and apt with whatever they have. They don’t have an option to back off during the time of contingencies. The success of an event depends upon the accomplishment of every single detail.
They always need to think a step ahead of what they need to implement, should always be prepared with Plan-B in case of an emergency, need to anticipate future risks and contingencies, double and triple check the work accomplished and confirm from the suppliers about the delivery of required supplies.
- Decision Making Power: Every event planner needs to take several decisions while implementing any of his/her plans. He needs to take it at once which is required to be beneficial for the event. Also, he needs to develop a good understanding of business productivity and accordingly takes and lay down their decisions.
Also, it’s vital to understand that which decisions are to be taken at which time and how they are required to be manipulated when the things turn upside and down.
- Vision: An event manager needs to have a vision about how the whole event that how it is to be planned and how all the things will be compiled. He needs to make blueprint about the event depending upon his envisioning power.
Vision in event planning means that an event planner is able to see all the minute and sole elements of the event and how they will be portrayed together at a single place. It’s about envisioning event theme, event venue, targeted audience, event marketing, event promotions, event catering, event sponsors, entertainment, design, and décor.
Vision in this business is about creating a mindset about what your event attendees will like and how accordingly, the event needs to be planned. It’s just an ability to see a big picture about what your attendees want.
- It’s more about Clients: A good event planner understands the fact that an event isn’t about them, rather, it’s about the client for whom they are working for. There is no requirement to involve ego in different matters instead, they should be happy while satisfying the needs of the client. The main motive should be that they should deliver the best to their clients or attendees. It’s about fulfilling their wishes and dreams and not their own.
They need to maintain the qualities of being sincere, loyal and honest to their work. Also, they should have no hidden agendas that can affect the desires of the client.